You might love your black coffee in the morning to help you feel energized and get ready for the day, but how much do you know about it? Do you know how drinking black coffee affects your body and your mind? Do you know the benefits of black coffee and its side effects?
Black coffee is simply coffee that is typically brewed without added additives such as sugar, milk, cream or added flavors. Although it has a slightly bitter taste compared to when it is flavored with additives, many people love a strong cup of black coffee. In fact, for some, it’s part of their daily diet.
In this article, we talk about the benefits of drinking black coffee, how it can help you lose weight, possible side effects, and how to make the perfect cup of black coffee.
Nutritional Value of Black Coffee
If you are looking for a drink that is low in calories, fat and carbohydrates, black coffee is the perfect drink for you. Simply put, drinking coffee only becomes a cause for concern when you regularly drink it with milk, sugar, cream, etc. With these additives, even a single cup of coffee can contain as many calories as an extra-large slice of cake.
Typically, an 8-ounce cup of black coffee contains:
- Fat – 0%
- Cholesterol – 0%
- Sodium – 0%
- Carbohydrates – 0%
- Sugar – 0%
- Potassium – 4%
As you can see for yourself, black coffee does not provide calories, fat or cholesterol. However, this does not mean that it is “healthy” or “nutritional”. In fact, black coffee has a very low nutritional value, as well as providing low amounts of potassium. It’s just that it doesn’t add a lot of calories.
So, in simple terms, the calorie content of black coffee is very low, which makes it an ideal drink for anyone looking for a regular drink that won’t harm their health. If you want to get more nutrition from your coffee, you can do so by choosing different types of coffee drinks such as latte, mocha, cappuccino and others.
black coffee for weight loss
Many people, even those who drink black coffee regularly, are unaware that the drink is a great catalyst for losing weight.
Whether you want to lose weight for cosmetic or health reasons, or you just don’t feel good in your own body, it’s no secret that diet is an important part of any weight loss journey. You should consume foods and drinks that will help you achieve your goal, and black coffee is one of them.
Below, we discuss the benefits of black coffee for weight loss:
- Black coffee contains chlorogenic acid, which helps to decrease the production of glucose in your body. This means that if you drink black coffee after a meal, your body will produce less glucose and fat cells.
- Black coffee also contains antioxidants, which help in the weight loss process.
- As black coffee is rich in caffeine, it helps in stimulating metabolic activity and increases your energy level, thus suppressing hunger.
- As mentioned earlier, black coffee is a low-calorie beverage and also contains no fats or cholesterol. That means you don’t gain weight by drinking black coffee daily.
- Many people love to drink black coffee a few minutes before heading to the gym. This is because it can greatly increase metabolism, allowing you to get more benefits from your workout session.
- Other benefits of black coffee for weight loss include reducing the water content in the body. As a result of frequent urination, you will reduce excess water in your body, which helps with temporary weight loss.
- If you’re drinking black coffee for weight loss, it’s important to note that you should drink it without additives. This means there is no sugar, cream, milk or any other flavor added. With these additives, all these benefits discussed above are nullified because your drink will contain calories, fat and cholesterol. That said, it is a must to follow a proper diet routine to lose weight.
6 proven benefits of black coffee
If you like black coffee, you will be happy to know that the drink offers many benefits, both for the body and for the mind. Let’s discuss these benefits of black coffee below:
1. Improves cardiovascular health
Regular intake of black coffee can lead to an increase in blood pressure, but this effect diminishes over time.
Studies have shown that drinking one to two cups of black coffee every day can reduce the risk of developing various cardiovascular diseases, including stroke. This means that over time, black coffee gives you a stronger heart. Also, reducing inflammation in the body.
2. Improve your memory
Black coffee is known to be great for improving your memory. As we age, our cognitive abilities are affected and we are more likely to develop memory-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s, dementia and Parkinson’s disease.
Drinking black coffee regularly can help combat this, keeping your brain fit and healthy. It keeps your nerves active, thus improving brain function.
3. It’s good for the liver
One of the most important benefits of black coffee is that it boosts liver health.
Your liver is a vital organ in your body that performs many functions. You must keep it healthy and black coffee is perfect for that. Regular intake of black coffee has been linked to the prevention of liver cancer, fatty liver disease, hepatitis and alcoholic cirrhosis.
Studies have shown that people who consume four cups of black coffee every day are much less likely to develop any kind of liver disease. This is because the content of black coffee can help lower the level of harmful liver enzymes that are found in the blood.
4. Helps to clear the stomach
Coffee is a diuretic drink, which means the more you consume, the more often you will urinate.
This means that toxins and bacteria are flushed out of your stomach every time you urinate. This cleanses your stomach and keeps you generally healthy.
5. It can help prevent the risk of developing cancer
Studies have shown that regular consumption of black coffee may be associated with a lower risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as liver cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, and rectal cancer.
Coffee is great for reducing inflammation in your body, which helps prevent tumors from developing.
6. It is rich in antioxidants
Many of the health benefits of black coffee are due to its rich antioxidant content.
Strong antioxidants such as potassium, magnesium, vitamin B2, B3 and B5 as well as manganese are found in black coffee.
How to make black coffee?
While there is no right way to make black coffee and different people make their black coffee their own way, there are steps you can take to ensure your drink tastes amazing every time.
There are two ways to make black coffee – grinding it yourself or using a machine.
If you want a clear black coffee with a truly delicate flavor, grinding it yourself is the best option. Take about three teaspoons of coffee and grind them until they are as fine as sea salt. Boil about 600 grams of water. Add a filter to your dripper, filling it with ground coffee. Gently tap the surface and pour into a glass. Your black coffee will be ready in no time.
Another option is to simply use a coffee machine, which most people do for convenience.
Black coffee side effects
We discussed the benefits of black coffee and how it helps with weight loss, but is it all good? Does it have any side effects? Like everything, excessive intake of black coffee results in side effects, which are discussed below:
- Too much black coffee releases high levels of stress hormones in your body, which only leads to anxiety and stress. It’s easy to feel jittery when you consume too much caffeine.
- Excessive coffee intake can seriously disrupt your sleep routine. It is recommended to avoid coffee a few hours before bed if you want to get a good night’s sleep.
- Black coffee is rich in caffeine and acid, so excessive consumption can lead to acidity in the stomach. You are likely to experience cramps and abdominal spasms.
- Too much coffee in your system makes it difficult for you to absorb minerals from your daily diet, such as iron, calcium and zinc.
Black coffee has many health benefits and also helps with weight loss. It can help boost memory, boost metabolism, keep your liver and heart healthy, and help reduce your risk of developing cancer.
However, one should drink it in moderation because, like everything, too much can lead to unwanted side effects. These include acidity, increased stress and anxiety, low rate of mineral absorption, and disturbed sleep routine.
When consumed in moderation, black coffee is a great beverage that does not contain calories, fat, or cholesterol.
Black Coffee – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How much black coffee should you drink a day?
A. Caffeine, an active ingredient in coffee, is the most consumed psychoactive substance in the world. The caffeine content of coffee is highly variable, ranging from 50 to over 400 mg per cup. A small cup of homemade coffee can provide 50 mg. As a general rule of thumb, an average 240ml cup of coffee provides around 100mg of caffeine. Several sources suggest that 400 mg of caffeine a day – the equivalent of 4 cups (945 ml) of coffee a day is safe for most healthy adults.
Q. Can we drink black coffee on an empty stomach?
A. The caffeine in coffee can also cause gastrointestinal upset by increasing the production of stomach acid (hydrochloric acid). When you’re drinking coffee on an empty stomach, it can add more acid to your body. Even decaf coffee can stimulate the production of acid which, on an empty stomach, can be harmful to the stomach lining if consumed regularly.
Q. Is black coffee good for weight loss?
A: Black coffee has an element called chlorogenic acid, which is known to accelerate weight loss. If you consume black coffee after dinner or dinner, the presence of chlorogenic acid slows down the production of glucose in the body. In addition, the production of new fat cells is decreased, which means fewer calories in the body. Black coffee contains caffeine which effectively increases metabolic activity and increases energy levels in our body, promoting weight loss.